What can you do about Child Passenger Safety?
Tips for Parents/Caregivers
There are many things that you can do to keep children safe on our roadways.
- Be sure your children are properly and safely restrained for every car ride, every time.
- Get your car seat(s) inspected at a local fitting station or check event. Bring your child with you so that a certified technician can ensure that the car seat is appropriate and fitted correctly for your child.
- Avoid buying used child safety seats. There is no guarantee for safety when purchasing a used car seat at a garage sale, flea market or thrift store. These seats may be expired, have missing parts, be damaged or may have been recalled. There is no way of knowing if these seats have been in a crash and if they had received damage that can't be seen with the naked eye.
- Stay focused on the road and your surroundings. Never drive distracted and never use your cell phone or any electronic device while driving. If there is an emergency, safely pull off the road or into a “Texting Zone” before using your device(s).
- Drive sober. Never drive impaired by alcohol or drugs and discourage others from doing so.